Monday, October 6, 2008

The passing of a fellow artist........Mar. 24,2008


It saddens to share the following information. A friend and fellow artist Casper Banjo(the main running theme in his work was images of bricks)was shot and killed Friday the 14th in Oakland near his home. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with him a few weeks before his passing (even though I had a busy schedule with family, in the middle of moving to a new home and art.) He had recently been on my mind and he happened to call me to see about getting together to catch up on things. Casper had pulled his life together after many life changing obstacles only a year ago and was now in pretty good spirits and was looking forward to future plans. We talked about life, family, hats and art (what else is there?) He shared with me some of his new work he was working on in his note pad he always keeps on him for his ideas for new pieces (and he even let me do his portrait in it!) Casper was dear to me and would pop into my life at just the right times with encouragement and words of wisdom. When you get those calls out of the blue from friends and loves that are on your mind be sure to make time for them, even if it's just a phone call. I don't believe we just walk around with happy accidents happening around us, things happen for a reason even if the reason isn't obvious at the time. I will greatly miss my friend and follow artist. Remember to take care of yourself! J

Here are two links about him:

video from channel 2 news
http://www.ktvu.com/video/15638020/index.html

article from an Oakland paper
http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_8610629?source=most_emailed

No comments: